Tuesday 4 April 2017

Does your stoma limit you?

If you just got out of an ostomy surgery then you know that your life has changed.  I was afraid of a lot of things but luckily you also have the internet.  Now being afraid, terrified, and super angry are more likely is not abnormal but you can quickly overcome it.  Don't worry though that is how I felt, but I was worried that my life outside and my looks would simply end.  No one would find me beautiful and that my outdoor passions would just stop overnight.  But the best part of unfounded fears is that they are unfounded.  It turns out that my life pretty much stayed the exact same after my surgery.  Yes, I have a stoma and now I have to do my routine business a little differently, but after a few weeks like went back to normal.  Now, just know that you can totally get back to your normal life after your surgery.  It takes some work, but life is just starting.



The first thing that I wanted to jump right back into was being in the woods and going on my trails again.  What it really took was the right gear that fit my body well and seeled up with a great flange I went back to the outdoors.  I love hiking and find outside filling my soul with life.  The passion I have for being in the outdoors is vast and I am such a huge fan of recharging my personality by being outside.  The fact is that I ended up learning how to hike and backpack like an ultra-light backpacker and used a lot of tips and tricks from that field to increase my capabilities and to go out and enjoy the outdoors without much hassle.



 Don't be fooled by super high costing gear.  You can get stuff to allow you to carry the same amount of weight since I had to bring my ostomy gear along with me for peace of mind.  I always like to make sure I have extra gear in case something happens.  It is usually better safe than sorry, but for the most part, it is no big deal to stock up and add in another day's worth of gear. 


Now if you are anything like me then you can also get back into your favorite hunting seasons.  There is nothing better than being able to hunt and stalk an intelligent creature.  The aftermath of the challenge is also the fact that you are able to harvest incredibly healthy food for a very low price as well.  I have never had an issue with being able to get out into the wild and deal with my ostomy bag as well.   There are sweet pills and sprays that can help with the order and even scent-blocking clothing to go on top.  I have used all of these items and find that I like to put them all together when I go out for deer season.  So far I have been rather successful full and my stoma has not hurt me at all.  I am careful when dragging or carrying the animals after I am done hunting. It took me a long time to get back into physical condition to hunt well again.

Just know that you life is not over and you can get back into what you want to get back into. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Can you walk in the rain with an ostomy?

Many people are laughing or just shrugged their shoulders in disbelief at the title.  But to be honest this is the crazy kind of questions t...