Wednesday 17 June 2020

Can you walk in the rain with an ostomy?

Many people are laughing or just shrugged their shoulders in disbelief at the title.  But to be honest this is the crazy kind of questions that many people think of when you tell them you have had an ostomy.  It brings about a hilarious amount of misinformation. The truth is the crazy questions don't bother me at all and I find them pretty funny and now entertaining.  Yes, yes indeed you can walk in the rain with an ostomy.  As a matter of fact you can do pretty much every single thing that a person without one can do.

 

Never be handicapped by your own thoughts.  This is something I heard when I first found out I was going to have a stoma and was really worried about what it would limit me to doing.  Luckily I had an amazing ostomy surgeon and a great team of nurses as well to get me through.  I had originally thought I was a maimed creature who would have to hide away from the world and carry my own excrement around like the black plague. Hey, we are all guilty of going overboard on reality and what we think it will be when we find out an ostomy is in the future.  Some of us were afraid we would never swim again either, but that really is not the case.

 

In fact I was given some great information from talking to an online retailer about swimming. I ended up talking to ostomy supplies about ways and products to do in order to go swimming.  Now I was told by others that this company gave free samples.  I was intrigued by this but after looking online at their website I was still a bit lost.  There were so many products on ostomy supplies sight that I didn't know where to begin. So I simply called them up and got ahold of their customer service agents and was pleasantly surprised. They clearly got that question all the time and were super helpful and nice about getting a few samples of products for me to try at home or in the tub before going out and testing at the ocean.

 

They gave me great advice, and I am here to say yes there are lots of waterproof and safe rainproof options! Now there are also some awesome swim options as well anywhere from stoma caps to small bags and I highly suggest calling up companies before ordering.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Can you walk in the rain with an ostomy?

Many people are laughing or just shrugged their shoulders in disbelief at the title.  But to be honest this is the crazy kind of questions t...